Hi! My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
lifebylori.com/
and please update your bookmarks.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

July 09 Garden Update

I have a long way to go before I have a fully running edible landscape. However, I am thankful for what I have so far. I am not an expert at gardening, but I am learning as I go. A great book that is helping me is called Desert Gardening since I live off the coast and closer towards Palm Springs. It seems that July & August just scorches my entire garden and Jan gets frost. So, it seems in Southern California I have a few short seasons to work with although I can grow year round. I have so much to learn.

I need to be diligent with watering since missing one day can wipe out all my hard work (which has happened a few times). I did get straw to mulch and that seems to be helping. However, it blows all over the place (as seen in the video). I still have more beds to mulch now that the plants are larger.


Here is a list of what I have so far:

Trees
fig (Black Mission), plum (Santa Rosa)

Bushes
2 blueberry varieties (O'neil & Misty)

Vine
grape (red flame) and kiwi (about dead by the sun)

Berries
blackberry, raspberry, boysenberry, strawberries (again near scorched)

Herbs
oregano, basil, chamomile, aloe

All raised beds have wire to keep underground gophers from getting into the goods. My dog, Hailee has been keeping all the birds from landing and mice, possums and gophers from having a party in my yard. The compost seems to draw in the critters. Which is why it is in a trash can with holes so I can put potting soil over the clippings and put a lid on it.

Annuals
corn- sweet, white, & bi color
Anaheim chili's
tomato (a few varieties)
watermelon
cantaloupe
pumpkin
spaghetti squash
zucchini
patty pan
cucumber- 2 varieties
tomatillo

Volunteers
cantaloupe
yellow summer squash
butternut squash
cherry tomatoes
pumpkin (I think)
beets

To do
finish nylon netting for vertical growing
front yard flowerbed along the wall needs to be re planted (most everything there is a volunteer and I didn't have the heart to rip them out.)
install an irrigation system
finish the side area of the front yard next to the small raised beds. BTW, I double dug under all those and amended soil about 1 foot down. I don't have wire to block gophers though. I hope it isn't a problem in the future, but from what everyone tells me it will be an issue.

After it cools a bit
I hope to plant trees in September like citrus and stone fruit. As well as putting all the plants that are still on pots in the ground. I need to be careful since the soil I have is clay and very tough to work with. I know it will be a while before I have awesome soil.

6 comments:

zuzu said...

=^..^= Lori,
you have a beautiful garden!!!

I'm up North of you and the temperatures are ::ouch:: here too ::sigh:: but tell the trees to hang on! Promise them a gorgeous cool fall :o) --zU

junglegirl said...

Hi!
Consider a sonic gopher repeller - they usually work with batteries and are not harmful to squirrels and household pets because 1. the frequency is for gophers alone and 2. they work with an underground speaker attached to a spike. Never needed to use one myself, but I remember seeing them around. Good luck!

jaime said...

Did you build those raised beds yourself or hire help? I need to do this too and am wondering how much I can actually do myself. Thanks!

Lori Painter said...

ZuZu- you are awesome! Yes, looking forward to planting lots of trees in September. Apparently it's a good month here for that! :)

Junglegirl- thanks for the tip!

Jaime- I def recommend you get help. You can prob make smaller beds yourself, but an extra hand to hold things in place while you screw or move things will be a huge help.

Treatment Shop said...

Thank you so much for running this blog-- I enjoyed reading some of your posts. Looking forward for more soon. Thanks again.

Caroline said...

Wow...so jealous! I am amazed...coming living in a subdivision in SoCal it's insane to me to think you've got real food growing in your front yard...I've just never seen it done!
What a fantastic role model you are for your children! Everyone doesn't have to live a cookie cutter life to WORK IT! :)
xoxo Caroline